Well Wednesday, we meet again. That means there are two more days until the weekend and it's time to brush up on the news!
- According to this story, almost no one in the United States does everything right, health wise. Well I think doing everything absolutely right is a tall order to expect of people. I mean, the idea is to prioritize health, but there are other things that contribute to the quality of life we have, and sometimes, balancing everything is a challenge, especially in today's day and age. While hopefully going forward health educators can improve the numbers presented here, I don't expect everyone will achieve these standards all the time.
- Can food labels kill added sugar? I sure hope so! I have actually tried to go with as little (or no) added sugar as possible for the past week, and I certainly feel like I have a little more focus. I actually think I'm more in tune with what my body is feeling hunger-wise because I have been filling my self with lots of produce, whole grains, and healthy fats instead. I am all for sweet treats, but I'm happy to give it a break for a little while.
- I am slowly readjusting my body to a healthier sleep schedule in which I go to sleep early and wake up early, getting a solid night's rest in between. I listened to Shawn Stevenson's podcast episode on the Rich Roll podcast a few weeks ago, and he presented some really interesting information about sleep and how it interacts with the rest of our health and lives. Here's an article from him that gives some tips to get a better night of sleep and have more energy!
- Who else talks to their dog like they're a person? Is it just me? (Riley I miss you!)
- I worked with Hannele Lahti when I was at City Dogs Rescue doing photography of the dogs at intake. Her work is really amazing, so it was exciting to see her in the Washington Post!
- A 25-year-old woman is running for Congress in California! You go girl!
- Did you know high amounts of sodium are lurking in these foods?
- RIP Harambe: Do apes belong in zoos? Do any animals?
- The letter written by the Stanford rape victim (which she read to her attacker in court) is so powerful. This case is absolutely ridiculous, and I am so happy for her that she got to use her voice to fight back for herself and all other survivors.
- And now something you don't have to think so hard about: people mixing paint colors on Instagram!
- I loved Angela's musings in her latest blog post, plus her delicious take on an Avocado Strawberry Caprese salad from the Love & Lemons Cookbook!
- It looks like all of my favorites are in this recipe for Portobello Steaks with Avocado Chimichurri!
- 99% of the time, I eat hummus and veggies for dinner... so I can relate to Tieghan at Half Baked Harvest, and I'm all for this Farmers Market Hummus (minus the feta).
- I wonder if I can manage to make these Chocolate Dipped Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Bars here at school?
- I recently had a request for a Nice Cream (vegan ice cream made with only bananas) recipe, but it's so simple and already spread around the Internet so much that it would be silly for me to write up a whole post about it. So here's the basic information about how to make it, and several flavor ideas to change things up!
Bonus reads: I'm a big fan of the book In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. I'm working on it right now, and I think it's something anyone interested in nutrition or anyone that's confused about what makes for a healthy diet should read.