HAPPY GLOBAL RUNNING DAY! You didn't know that was a thing did you? Well it is, and it's kind of cool. I guess there's a day for everything anyway though. I'm going for a (short) run this morning because I have to celebrate. It's actually the first year I'm celebrating because during high school, I was on a break and last year I forgot. So it's an exciting day!
I hope today you go for a run too, even if you just jog in place. Hooray exercise! (But also read these stories!)
- Baby carrots are not baby carrots, ya feel? But seriously, we are pretty disconnected from the food on our plates.
- I first saw this story on The Full Helping, (and Gena makes her own thoughtful commentary!) and I thought it was really cool to see how consumption of different foods in the United States over time. Since I have become interested in nutrition and cooking, I have diversified the foods that I eat on a daily basis. Just looking at the foods included here, there's not much diversity in the whole foods people eat (but I guess a lot of people also rely a lot on processed foods and fast foods). It would be cool if people would start eating more whole foods (also less meat...). I bet it would be more fun if people realized all of the options out there!
- Thank goodness for muscle memory! There's hope I'll get back in shape one day!
- Here's a brief history of running!
- Animals are on humanity's side (see bomb sniffing dogs) so why do we do horrible things to them sometimes?
- For all its benefits, technology still has its problems with regard to our health. Do you have Computer Vision Syndrome? (Of course, only a doctor can officially diagnose you.) I give you permission to take a break from reading this if it hurts your eyes.
- The person that wrote this editorial is so brave for being willing to share the story of their suicide attempts. (Warning: could be triggering) The only way that we will make it acceptable to talk about mental health issues is to start talking about them today!
- So a recent study supposedly established a link between cell phones and cancer... Even though it might do everyone well to take some time away from their screens, I don't think we have to worry about cancer. It's a classic lesson in how to properly interpret a scientific study. See this link.
- Wear sunscreen!
- I don't know whether to think this is funny or scary. Dr. Heimlich finally performed the Heimlich maneuver for real at age 96... So we've been taking directions from a guy who never had to try to save someone's life in real time!
- This country is basically overdosed on antibiotics. In fact, an antibiotic resistant bacteria has been found in the United States. Here are a few things you should know about antibiotic resistance.
- It's never too hot to soup! This lentil brown rice vegetable soup is right up my alley!
- If it actually is too hot for regular soup for you, this recipe and this recipe look supreme!
- It's (vegan) Taco Tuesday y'all!
- And have some Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream for dessert! (I wish I had an ice cream maker! One day... And I can settle for banana nice cream for now!)