Hi there! Is it time for another Wednesday Weekly News Roundup again? I have decided to make these posts part of the rotation. But don't worry; check back this Friday for a super recipe featuring the ingredients from my FIRST FRESH FARMSARE BAG! Rumor has it that it might include, some lettuce, bok choy, green garlic scallions, beets, apples, and cilantro! Plus, i got a couple extra ingredients at the farmer's market myself this past Sunday. What would you make with these ingredients? Check back on Friday to see what I come up with!
Now, onto the news!
- Did you hear that someone tried to "rescue" a baby bison at Yellowstone? I appreciate that these people cared about the animal, but it's still a wild animal. It would be different if they found the bison dying on the side of the road, but thinking that it looked cold is quite subjective. I am also sad that park officials decided to euthanize the animal because it was abandoned by its herd. Ultimately, I think all of this is a lesson in the complexity of wildlife and how we should care enough to learn more about our environment. Also, why are people upset that the animal had to be put down but they're okay with eating a bison burger? Vegan thoughts...
- This story hits a little too close to home because I always take the Northeast Regional Amtrak train when traveling between school and home.
- Yes, animals have feelings too! They understand more than we know. This story is so sad!
- Get your almond butter spoons ready; the FDA is finally getting with the times, and (healthy) fats are in again!
- Who else is excited for Finding Dory?! Just remember that fish can't go on adventures if you keep them in tanks in your home.
- An interesting conversation has been going on around concussions among all athletes, but this story adds the angle of collegiate athletics to the mix. I do have some problems with American college sports, so it will be interesting to see how this case turns out.
- This story is long, but it's super interesting, especially to anyone involved in long-distance running. Where is the limit to human speed and endurance? Check out part two also!
- I'm so excited to watch the Olympics this summer! It will be the first time I actually know/care about what's happening in the running events! Except for all of this doping nonsense. Enough of that. But the New York Times has already started a page with all their stories related to the games in Rio so you can stay up to date with what's going on!
- You say you can't get enough calcium on a vegan diet? Check out this informative post on The Full Helping.
- Since fat is in vogue again, make a batch of these Curry Spiced Cashews and eat all of them! (Try not to do it all at once.)
- Berry season is upon us! Celebrate their natural flavors with these Cranberry Blueberry Crumb Bars (and I bet other berries would make for some easy ingredient swaps).
- I'm also excited for all of the other summer produce to start rolling in, like zucchini which looks great in this recipe for Peanut Zoodles with Tofu! (And if you have extra zucchini, you could always make my Zoodles + Quinoa with Lemon Garlic Tahini Dressing.)
***Bonus book recommendation! I have been working on The Sports Gene by David Epstein, and I always have a hard time putting it down! It includes interesting anecdotes and super cool and balanced research. I'm interested in seeing where the study of athletic genetics goes, and how it can help athletes tailor their training to their innate traits and external environment.
I will end with another music video, with this week's to remind me (and you) to always keep your head up, but to always remain humble.