Hi there everyone! I'm wishing I was in Vermont, like in the photo above, because at least it would be sunny outside! The weather for the past two weeks has been gray and dreadful! But the past two days we have seen some sun, so there is hope!
I have been enjoying my time off from school so far, but I'm already back to work at my internship. So far, it has been going really great! Commuting to the office has been an interesting experience and I feel all adulty sandwiched in with all the other working folks on the metro. I also can't wait for the FARMSHARE program to launch next week! #alltheveggies You'll definitely see all the gorgeous produce I will get in the share I receive as an intern here on the blog! I'll really have to get used to cooking all the time again since I won't have a meal plan anymore!
While I have lots of ideas for what I'm going to use this space for this summer, this week was kind of an off week. I have been tired and recovering from the semester and settling into my new digs and new routine. So I decided to take it easy and share some great recipes and stories I have found on the interwebs recently. I hope you give yourself a nice break and sit down with some nice tea or coffee to catch up!
- Climate change and rising sea levels are real guys! We already lost some islands!
- Well guys, I guess we have a new national mammal?
- These haikus are a little funny now only because it seems like the rain is taking a break for a little while.
- If I didn't mention politics, I wouldn't be a proper Washingtonian. At least more people are starting to pay attention to animal welfare, and some of our presidential candidates are taking note.
- Just in case you were wondering, this could be why carrots are orange.
- Non-science-y friends and especially members of the media out there, take note: just because it's based on a scientific study doesn't mean it's good science. Always be critical of what you read in the news, and if you're reporting on it, make sure you talk to the experts and keep these main ideas in mind. You don't want to end up in this situation.
- Even if it's not super hot outside, you gotta stay hydrated!
- Although as someone involved in health promotion, I would hope that I could convey the dangers of drinking while pregnant, I guess New York City doesn't feel that telling a woman she can't drink while pregnant is its job. The first thing I thought about was the controversy surrounding abortion.
- Um, Baked Avocado Fries. *Drops mic*
- With strawberries in season, this gorgeous and delicious recipe for Strawberry Crisp looks perfect to get in on the action!
- Speaking of seasonal produce, here's what is starting to show up at farmer's markets and grocery stores this month!
- Do you need some more inspiration for your seasonal cooking endeavors? Then check out what I'm doing on the FRESHFARM Markets Pinterest page!
- I think mushrooms are like my favorite vegetable. Except I guess they aren't even really a vegetable, they're the fruiting part of a fungus. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that up before I share this recipe for a Portabello Stir Fry with you.
- Kylie from Yeah... Imma Eat That has been posting some wonderful reflections on what it really means to eat healthy recently. I particularly enjoyed this one.
- Buzzfeed is celebrating Body Positivity Week, and this video is adorable.
On that note, I will leave you with this video because it's really sweet, and I have been listening to lots of Spanish music because I am excited to start my Spanish class later this summer!
Also, thanks to Joy the Baker for giving me the inspiration for this post's format, although I don't think my little blurbs with each article above are as funny as hers.